22 August 2008

Ruth

When I left my house this morning, the sky was weeping. I suppose it was silent venting in response to the human prayers, resentments and greed which were being catapulted by the second to the never ending expanse of grey and blue. I'm sure the sky must feel overwhelmed. It must be very strong as well. If I had been the sky, the country below me would have been a swamp.

Outside the colony gates stood a half naked madman. He was drenched from head to toe and was gesticulating wildly with his hands. Poor people have no compassion for men such as this; they can't afford it. When I saw him I didn't feel scared or panicked, I just felt guilty. I felt sorry and ashamed when the guards began to beat him with a stick. Their combined poverty was their best weapon. They couldn't feel the compassion I was feeling simply because they shared the same life with a little bit of sanity. Long after he was subdued they kept on beating him. Then finally one of them said "rehne de, kismet hi kharab hai saale ki". The other guard sullenly stopped and said "humari kaunsi achhi hai?".

As I stepped out of the gate, they saluted and held the madman at bay and all I could do was lower my eyes and walk on, underneath the weeping sky with no umbrella.

3 comments:

  1. Well,whether we like it or not,the world HAS been defined into hierarchy belts.I personally don't like that shit,but I don't want to interfere with the way the world runs either.If its people of the same poverty level fighting it out,let them.On the other hand,if its someone who's rich beating up someone who's poor for no crime committed,step in to help.

    I might sound harsh,but that's the way I think.

    ReplyDelete