25 February 2010

Here, There and Everywhere

It was high school. I was ugly. I saw it every day in the mirror before leaving for school. I remember walking down the longest corridor, with sweaty hands clutching a binder tightly to the chest as I tried my best to slink past the group of senior boys without getting noticed. Of course, it was not to be. I was the weird Indian girl, the one who read all the time curled up in secluded corners and ate her lunches alone because she was told Indian food smelled. One of them winked as I walked past and my stomach lurched. It was all I could do to keep from bursting into tears right there and then. I hated them. I guess they didn't like me very much either. It would have been the uncool thing to do.

I began to dread opening my locker. On Valentine's Day everyone had a red carnation sent to them by someone or the other (school initiave) inside their locker. I opened mine to find a bunch of smelly socks and a note which said : you won't notice the smell anyway.
I think I still carry that rage somewhere.

A year later. I had another note. It said: "You're beautiful". I mistrusted it instantly. I imagined a bunch of people were standing around waiting for me to smile before they started jeering. I threw it in the trash. The next day there was a red rose inside. I went to the school counselor to ask her for a lock for my locker becaues someone seemed to know my code. I cried at night. I couldn't understand why someone would mock me so.

What happened afterwards is a blur. I was in love... with the way he felt. I was everything I wanted to be because he could see me that way.
Seven months later.. there was another note: "I don't think you're pretty enough to be mine".
This time I smiled. It was the longest prank anyone had played. You had to give some credit.

I came back to India. Outside my car window a small child held up a rose and grinned. "Aap bahut sundar ho didi". I smiled. I loved my country instantly.

6 comments:

  1. aww this is adorable and kind of sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO to YOUTUBE TYPE " life is like a coffe " See the video ........And before that make sure u have a gud cup of coffee made by urself in ur hand . incase u dont know how to make it ..... boil 1 cup of milk put 2 Rs 1 nescafe sachet in it and sugar as per taste and ur done .. haha waise u can use the expensive stuff like wipped cream and all but since i dont have those luxuries i enjoy wid wat i can digest >>>:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA SEEMS U HAV SEEN THE VID AND LIKED THE COFFE NOT THE CUPS AS THE REST DO . COMPETE WITH THE CROWD AND BECOME USELESS COMPETE WITH URSELF AND BECOME A LEADER ...."REMEMBER NOTHING LASTS FOREVER NOT EVEN PROBLEMS " ALSO THERE AR 2 BENIFITS OF LIVING ON THE EDGE 1)U never run out of spice in life .2)U dont occupy alot of space and let others live . :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoever this is.. is stupid.. and no i did not look at the you tube video.. if you cannot read my blog without leaving comments then please don't read it at all.. only friends and acquaintances comments will be approved from now onwards.. seriously.. no..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pardon the breach in protocol, this one seems like an abject story of some fascinating times… moments in fact. have come across a breezy blog after a while… thanks for making me want to write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read my comment above yours and realized why you may think that this is a breach in protocol! hahah no i meant that pointless comments having nothing to do with anything will not be approved.. Im glad this made you want to write! Send me a link of whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete