17 March 2008

Bye

We recently threw a farewell for our seniors in college. It wasn’t really a grand effort considering we were short of funds and didn’t really have the budget to go overboard with anything. I was put in charge of making the invites, which was funny because I can hardly boast of my artistic skills let alone decorate anything or draw to save my life. Don’t get me wrong. I’m usually bursting with ideas but when the time comes to execute them the end result almost never looks the way it’s supposed to. So, I sort of went mental with pink and silver glitter and handmade paper and the invites looked anything but inviting after I was done with them. However, my seniors are kind and considerate people and whatever fun was made of the invites was thankfully made behind my back.

Not many seniors turned up at the farewell. I was very disappointed. I took it as a personal insult over the invites. Those who did turn up followed the dress code and were a very gracious audience and laughed in all the right places. A classmate of mine and I performed a dance on stage probably for the first and last time in our lives. It was hilarious. We couldn’t stop laughing the whole time. I think we looked retarded after a while, twirling and whirling on stage with big grins pasted on our faces and the expressions having nothing to do with the lyrics of the song. We were applauded none the less for which I was very grateful because personally I think I resemble a grasshopper hopping from one foot to the other when I dance.

The farewell was not actually the time when it hit any of us that it was probably the last time that we’d be interacting with the seniors. Sure, we will see them around exams in April but then they’ll just pass us with worried smiles and we’ll be too busy cramming at the last minute to stop and chat. It was later in the evening, when a bunch of us went out for dinner. Most people couldn’t make it, or had prior engagements and I ended up being the only junior. It was loads of fun. What I would term as clean fun. There was no drinking. One person smoked but that’s because he was trying to take his mind off his hunger because for the longest time none of us could decide where to go. We eventually landed up in Saket, had dhaba style food and later Nirula’s hot chocolate fudge. It was great. Then while I was being dropped back home it struck me that I would not be seeing these faces in college. They wouldn’t be seen hanging around the canteen or hiding from teachers or gloating about mass bunks. They would be out there in the “big bad world” doing post graduation and making careers. I will miss them. They have been a very nice batch. All of them study and know what they’re talking about which isn’t something I can say about my class. Most of them, I noticed yesterday also have an awesome sense of humor and it’s really sad how now we’ll just be mere acquaintances keeping in touch through Facebook or Orkut (for those who find Facebook too confusing to operate). I hope they all end up doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment