02 June 2010

Small Things

Yesterday was a good day. I met someone I used to know and was pleasantly surprised to see that he had changed. Gone was the swagger and the weird lilts in the voice. It had all been beautifully replaced with calm, courteous charm. Except the eyes. They still danced.
It was as if nothing had changed. He asked me if I still had a flaming temper and I retorted by asking him about his pathetic taste in women. He grabbed me into this gruff hug and nearly lifted me clean off the ground. As I stood back shyly he grinned and said " still doing your whole reserved deal huh?"
"no I'm not!" I scowled back.

As I looked at him, I picked out the familiar mixed with the new. He wore a scent I didn't recognise but his smell was still the same. He always ended up laughing at his own jokes before he even finished telling them and I loved that he wore a shirt with a collar. He still hadn't grown up though. As I talked with lots of hand gestures and lots of big words thrown in for good effect, he smiled at me the old way, tilted his head to one side and declared: "your teeth are still crooked!!".
It was the first time I'd laughed in days. And once I started I couldn't stop and then burst into tears (I was probably hungry and sleepy and everything else combined). He somehow managed to laugh at that too and I sat there and sulked.

When I got up to leave, he held out a pencil. A brand new beautiful pencil with an eraser on top. I smiled. I love stationary. And I loved that he had remembered. It was so simple. Small things.. that's all it takes.. small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment