17 March 2011

The Child Bearer

Do not dwell on betrayals,
for even they will betray you.
Memories never stay loyal,
and minds are seldom true.

She had always protected me. From sharp corners, from bad dreams and sometimes even from herself. Little did she know she was bringing up a complete antithesis of herself, who on the inside was furiously battling her stubborn twin. From inside her womb, with my little fists clenched tight in distrustful slumber, I dreamt and vowed never to be what she didn't want me to be : a mere continuation of herself. It became a silly battle in life, to be and to protect her from something identical. She'd catch glimpses of herself sometimes in my rash, negligent acts. It seemed to break her heart that her free spirit still dwelt somewhere deep down inside her little one. I have denied myself a thousand lives, just so that for another thousand moments she may breathe knowing I didn't turn out just like her. Or that even if I did, no one will ever know. In such a way we have protected each other from each other, her and I, and failed each other repeatedly and miserably with each new sacrifice.

1 comment: